2 DAYS RWANDA GORILLA TREK
The 2 days Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Safari in Virunga national park include one night starting from either Kigali city or Kigali international airport. There is a brief Kigali city tour where you will be in a position to visit the Genocide memorial site before heading to the north for a gorilla trekking safari in the wilderness.
Volcanoes National Park, situated in the far northwest of Rwanda, is named after the chain of dormant volcanoes making up the Virunga Massif: Karisimbi – the highest at 4,507m, Bisoke with its verdant crater lake, Sabinyo, Gahinga, and Muhabura.
- City Tour
- Gorilla Trekking
Day 1: Travel to Virunga National Park
Day 2: Gorilla tracking & Departure
- Entrance fees
- Return Transport
- All activities (Unless labelled as optional)
- Accommodation according to the itinerary
- A professional driver/guide
- All Taxes/VAT
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- Meals (As specified in the day-by-day section)
- Bottled mineral water in the vehicle
- International flights
- Visa Fees
- Travel Insurance
- Personal Purchases (souvenirs, drinks, etc.)
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees
Day by Day
After breakfast, we explore one of ‘the safest and cleanest cities on the African continent! Alongside our knowledgeable driver guide, head out to Mount Kigali for spectacular views of the city. On return, you’ll be driven around Kigali's commercial streets, Muslim area with historic mosques, Old City, Kimisagara and Nyabugogo markets, City center, City hall, and camp Kigali. Later, proceed to Kigali Genocide Memorial to pay tribute to over 250,000 victims of Rwanda's 1994 Genocide against Tutsis. Time permitting; appreciate the city’s newest and upmarket residential areas of Kagugu, Nyarutarama & Kibagabaga and Kimironko market. The city tour ends with a traditional Rwandese meal before heading to Virunga National Park.
Journey: +2 hrs
Meal Plan: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
Accommodation: Budget: Muhabura Hotel Midrange: Le Bamboo Gorilla Lodge Luxury: Sabinyo Silverback Lodge
After early breakfast, we drive to the park office in Kinigi by 7 am. Meet the park guides for the allocation of the gorilla groups. There are 12 habituated gorilla groups available for the tracking and no more than 8 people can be allocated for each gorilla group. The park guides shall brief you about the gorilla trekking etiquette and thereafter you shall drive to the park boundary where you start trekking into the jungle to find the gorillas. The time taken to find the gorillas is 2 to 3 hours but can take less or more depending on how the gorillas move while feeding. You will hike along a relatively steep forested mountain which can be challenging if not fit. There are porters that will be found at the park boundary for hire at $10 each and these can carry your backpack and may provide a push or pull if you meet a challenging spot. When you find the gorillas you will be allowed only 1 hour to watch them and follow them, after which you shall head back to meet your driver and transfer to the lodge to refresh.
In the afternoon you can do one of the following optional activities before departure.
- Go on a 3 – 4 hour (half-day) canoe trip on River Mukungwa (with Kingfisher Journeys) which is a perfect way of exploring the lush countryside near the Virungas and get an insight into the life of the local people in the countryside. For the keen birder there are lots of birds to record as you ride along the river.
- Visit the twin lakes (Burera and Ruhondo) which are located in the foothills of the Virunga Mountains and do a 1-hour boat ride on the lake Burera and enjoy the stunning scenery of the lush rolling hills with the backdrop of the Virunga mountains.
- Do a cultural tour to the Gorilla Guardians Village to see the presentations of several Rwandan cultural and traditional practices including a traditional dance performance.
Journey: +2 hrs
Meal Plan: Breakfast & Lunch